Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Curiosity killed = ignorance

Curiosity killed = ignorance 4 years 6 months ago #8023

• fioncelle
  • Junior
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi all,

this is not particularly lesbian related, but more of a general observation. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Of course not everybody is into politics, science and other rather complex topics, but in my opinion it's good to have at least some general knowledge or curiosity on at least some of them. As for myself, I do like things like cosmology, astronomy and biology. Not that I'm cracking equations or anything, but I enjoy watching documentaries or reading articles. As for many Thais around me, this seems rather odd. Fair enough, I know it's not for everyone, yet I was a bit surprised to see that many people don't even have an opinion at all they could share (when it would differ from mine).

Sometimes it might be laziness, but I assume that the thai education system seemed to have killed any spark of curiosity and concern for what is happening in the world around us, as they just got facts forced down their throats, no questions allowed. Many students just absorb it without criticism in order to pass the next test and erase it from memory afterwards. It's kinda sad to see b/c so many smart people would be hindered to use their potential.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Curiosity killed = ignorance 4 years 6 months ago #8025

• usherette1984
  • Thank you received: 4
What you are saying about education is very true. But ... don't forget that Thais like to keep things light (not only the conversation). It's not something unusual, but I don't think they are very keen on sitting around and pondering the meaning of life and/or the ever-changing political scene. If they are out with you, they want to have fun and steer clear from the deep conversations. Also, if you noticed, talking about Thai politics is taboo. If you don't have the freedom to state your opinions about your own country, I guess you take even less interest in the things happening across the great water.

Re: Curiosity killed = ignorance 4 years 6 months ago #8040

• inspireme
@Fioncelle There are so many Thai people out there who like watching documentaries, or reading non-fiction materials, or talking about politics. You just haven't met any of them.
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds