Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Might be visiting Manila later this year

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 8 months ago #7766

Nothing set in stone yet so I can't give dates. I'll be visiting friends, but I'd like to make a few more there so I thought I'd send out a feeler and see if any board members live around there?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 8 months ago #7770

• fire_eagle79
why not visit cebu as well? there's not that much to do in manila.

cebu's even safer and nightlife's almost same as manila. people are friendlier and accomodating.

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 8 months ago #7772

I've no interest in nightlife, really, can't imagine anything more dreadful.

My friends live in Manila, but I'll take that into account, thank you.

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 5 months ago #8091

Then what are you in to? Im in manila and its a lot like BKK.

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8137

• Ely
  • Junior
Hey, no offense..i've been to Cebu. please dont use the word safe... its not really like that. If its party and all...either, you can have Manila or Cebu. :D

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8140

• roxynemo
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 29
So is it safe or not to visit Manila , Cebu or anywhere in Philipine now ?? i been alot around Asia but even i wanted so much also explore Philiphine i never went as we here in Sweden constantly in news hear about all the domestic fights with gerilla groups, violence, criminality , nature disasters and " god and buddha know what"!!!??? would like to visit, but would i dare to go?? :ohmy: would preciate if one of u gals fr there could assure its safe enough for a "curious to explore the world Swedish gal" to go?? B) :side:

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8141

• duangkamol
  • Expert
  • Thank you received: 23
@Roxy I have not been to Cebu in 20 years, but it seemed OK at that time... But I stayed on Mactan Island...Mostly I just spent time w my friend and her family, was alright... I think goes without saying though use caution any place in the world u r not familiar with,...

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8144

• roxynemo
  • Expert
Hi @duangkamol kha , Cebu in 20 years ago must have been so unspoilt an "fab" :) i suppose i should just go and explore ? i really want to! And try not listen to all negative info on the damn news, just go there and hope"buddha are with me all the way" ;) But first go Bkk in sep.
kiss and hug to u kha

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8146

• duangkamol
  • Expert
No place like BKK.... :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8147

• roxynemo
  • Expert
I agree :)Bkk is the queen of places/towns to be! Stockholm here in Sweden could be the princess of places ,maybe? :) ;)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8148

Ive been to manila. Its ok but i prefer bkk
The following user(s) said Thank You: PrettyinPink2013

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8149

• roxynemo
  • Expert
yeah, Bkk is the city nr 1!! me myself also love Bkk even its probably the most ugly city ive seen in my life and its smell "mai dee" and traffic is deadly but still i just love Bkk so much :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8150

• duangkamol
  • Expert
BKK ugly and bad smelling LOL...? 5555 not to me... Beautiful city, smells of laab and somtam and durian in the air... love it ... :)

Grace

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8151

• roxynemo
  • Expert
well, :) i do agree with u that even this horrendous smells fr durian, somtam(i love somtam) ;) ,contamned Shao praya water and more i also love "the city of angels" mak mak
hugs to u Grace fr Veronika

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8153

• duangkamol
  • Expert
LOL i love the smell and taste of durian, and I lived on the Chao Phraya when i first came here and miss it :)

Hugs to u as well Roxynemo :)

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8167

• katie
Philippines is the safest place i've known, don't rely on NEWS it's deceiving, go first before u react...BKK is just an ordinary place, nothing special...no life and no job...where as Manila is Manila...everything is there...u can come and go...u will love the place...and the people u can trust without pay in return...u can live without spending money...only if u have called friends...Goodluck!

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8168

First of all I don't appreciate you calling Bangkok an "ordinary place and nothing special". If it was so ordinary why are there so many Filipinos as well as other nationalities living here and why are you even on BKKLES?

You either need to fix your words or watch out what you say and to which type of audience! Just saying...

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8169

• roxynemo
  • Expert
I totally agree with u luv! why the heck is this gal Katie a member of this site if she has this opinions about Bkk??? :huh: Ive been to Bkk loads of times myself , never to Manila so i cant have any own opinions about Manila , but the fact is that at least here in Sweden they warn us to go Manila cause of safety issues and high criminality , sex trade and all kind of issues , loads and loads of us go Bkk and rest of Thailand cause we love Thailand and feel safe there !

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8170

• katie
hey, i don't need ur opinion...if BKK is ur only place...then it's urs...and my opinion is my opinion...Filipinos just don't live in one place and we don't just stay for one...were exploring places, that's why u can see us all over...we travel a lot, we have money...don't belittle filipinos...if i could see such bad words abt it...i've been to Patphong...mind u...if u wanna fight, okay...i'm here for curiousity...not anything immoral....o k a y ???? hope u notice my words...if u have brain...

Re: Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8171

• roxynemo
  • Expert
oohh"my buddha" ! (sigh) :whistle:

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8192

• duangkamol
  • Expert
I've been to the Philippines, and like the Philippines OK, but there is no way it comes close to being as safe as Bangkok... I've been to Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Cebu City (where there were armed guards w armalites almost everywhere at the time, something u rarely see here in BKK), and Seoul,.... They all have their positive aspects, but I have never felt safer anyplace than in BKK nor have i find a city that is the equal of BKK...

Hmmmm, Sounds like someone has a hair up their ass abt BKK,...

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8193

• roxynemo
  • Expert
I totally agree with u Duangkamol! i have always felt safe in Bkk, felt much safer in Bkk than here in Stockholm/Sweden ...of course if one are in wrong place at wrong time something bad could have occured but thats is same for any place around this planet we live on :blink:

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8195

• rockstar
  • Thank you received: 1
I think the main reason to feeling safe in Bangkok is that there are so many foreigners/backpackers in Bangkok. In Manila, you will hardly see foreigners. You may explore the whole city the entire day and just see 1 or 2 foreigners. The foreigners you will see in Manila are not backpackers but expats who live and work in the Philippines. As a traveler myself, I feel more comfortable if I see a lot of foreigners like me if I'm in a different country. But I guess you will feel comfortable if you have Filipino friends to show you around. :) Manila is a chaotic city. Full of energy and very busy. It is an acquired taste. At first, you might hate it. But as time goes by and you know some Filipino friends, you'll learn to love it. And usually, foreigners who learned to love Manila stay here for a long time. :)

By the way, if you have any questions, I'm willing to help you guys. :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8203

• duangkamol
  • Expert
Rockstar I think feeling safe in BKK depends where u r.... I live in a Thai neighborhood, and always have since I came here - first in Bangplad, then Chatuchak near Rachada, then Minburi, then back to same soi in Chatuchak... I don't really feel safe places w a lot of faranf... places like Khaosan Road and Chatuchak Market it is from pickpockets, places like Patpong and and Pattaya (outside BKK but nearby, I would fear for my life), Silom and Sukhumvit too I think are not totally safe. The sad reality is that - probably in any country - areas where foreigners congregate draw a lot of shady individuals....prostitutes, pickpockets, bag snatchers,.... In Thai neighborhoods people come to know me... The soi I lived in in Bangplad my Thai friends called a slum, but when I come in late at night or early morning, many invites from the ladies there to join them drinking Hong Thong or Chang, in Minburi at 4 AM coming home one of the Thai I became acquainted (also very drunk) came over and hugged me...

I have to say too I felt safe in Cebu, or rather Lapu Lapu City, in the Philippines, but there I was w my ex, a Filipino... And a long time ago...

I think most countries the average person is good... and are safe as long as you watch where you go (including Thailand and BKK)... That said I feel safer in Thailand (in Thai neighborhoods, away from foreign ghettos) than I have any place including back in the US,... and much freer here than in the US.....

Just my thoughts, that is all... but after 4 years of living here.... :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8204

• duangkamol
  • Expert
@Roxynemo, exactly... :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8205

• rockstar
@Duangkamol, you have a point. Here in the Philippines, I can say that people are more laid back and more friendly in the provinces than in Manila. If you are here in the Philippines, better visit other places outside Manila. But if you are in Manila, you will feel safe if you start to know the people around you. Same with your experience in Bangkok. Poor people doesn't automatically mean that they are bad people. Just always be careful wherever you are.

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8210

• duangkamol
  • Expert
@Rockstar,... indeed... good and bad everywhere, though i think urban areas tend to attract the worst,... my ex's family are in Manila, Mactan, Davao, and Hilongos and they are good people I know... :)

Might be visiting Manila later this year 4 years 4 months ago #8211

• rockstar
@Duangkamol, you are right. The more urban the place is, the more insensitive the people get. The places that you've been to are beautiful. And FYI, Ilonggos are known to be sweet and romantic people. Every Filipino knows that. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: duangkamol
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds