Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Yuri Anime and Manga

Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 3 months ago #4918

• HRB
  • Gold
Hey, thought I'd start a thread about this. There's obviously not as many lesbian TV shows or movies as we'd like to have out there, but at least in anime and manga there's definitely more love for the girl on girl romance genre.

So, to start with, do any of you read or watch Girls Love manga or anime? What are your favourite ones? And is there any you want to recommend to other girls here?

Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HRB.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 3 months ago #4920

• Orlando
I've always loved Bara No Bara (Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar) by Ryoko Ikeda... not sure if you're familiar with it, HRB, because it's quite an old manga. I first read it when I was ten (or younger even). I fell in love with the main character Oscar, that's for sure. I also remembered crying when a teacher confiscated my beautiful first edition to punish me for reading it in class!

Though the manga's homoerotic/homosexual theme, as the plot progresses, subsides and makes way for boring heterosexual paradigm (Oscar ending up with Andre at the end), I think her relationship with Rosalie and her feelings for "Marie Antoinette" are worth exploring (especially the manga version... the anime version just tones everything down.. shame).

Here's an overview of the manga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rose_of_Versailles

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 3 months ago #4922

• HRB
  • Gold
Actually I am familiar with it, though only with the anime version not the manga. I didn't know that the lesYay was more obvious in the manga version but i definitely felt the Rosalie/Oscar and the Oscar/Marie too.

And aww that sucks. And she didn't give it back even after the class or after the term was over?

My number one would probably always be Utena though. I had a crush on her as a kid (i know it's not an anime for kids, but it was still airing on the kid's channel when i was young). I've read the manga and have the anime and the movie version. Also, I really love the art style used in the movie version. I think i like the art style more in Utena than the style used in Rose of Versailles.

I also really love Mai-HiME and Mai-Otome... but not as much as Utena.
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by HRB.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 3 months ago #4970

• miriko
Hi,

I like Utena.... From Ikeda Ryoko, there is also Brother dear brother which is really good (in Japan it is called Onisama e...)

Hummmm.... I dont know many more animes with lesbian characters, but weren't there sailor neptune and uranus in sailor moon:)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 3 months ago #4976

• HRB
  • Gold
Oh i heard of Onisama-e, but i never saw it. What's it about? and do you know where i can find it online?

And yes, Sailor Neptune and Sailor Uranus... God i love them!! There's also Sailor Star Fighter/Seiya, in the anime Seiya is a guy when not in Sailor mode, but in the manga she's full on girl, just crossdressing. Of course in the manga she's more of a side character than a main one like in the anime... of course even when Seiya was a guy i didn't really see him as a guy since he was originally a girl when he was on his home planet, but used guy form once he came to Earth to look for his missing princess (cause it's more conveniant that way) and fell in love with Usagi.

As for other girl love series, there's Strawberry Panic which is really cute, Kannazuki no Miko, which is cool but kind of angsty and as i mentioned Mai-HiME has one lesbian couple and some subtext, and it's sequel Mai-Otome (not exactly a sequal though, you don't need to see the first one, it's set way into the future) is even more lesbianic since the magical girls would lose their powers if they sleep with guys... I LOVE Mai-Otome.

Oh and a really cute one i like, Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl, this one is cool. It's basically about this boy, Hazumu, who's in love with this girl but she rejected him. Heartbroken he goes off into the woods and then a spaceship crashlands there and kills him. The aliens felt bad so they ressurected him, only they ressurected him as a girl instead of a boy. And then of course now that 'he' is a girl, the girl that rejected him now wants to be with him... but so does his female best friend... also note that Hazumu, though he started as a guy he seems more like he might be a mtf transexual anyway, he seems more comfortable as a girl. Anyway i think it's an adorable story.

There's also some which i haven't seen yet. Marimite is a famous one i think, and another one but i forgot the name... actually there's a lot that i forgot the name of. I'll get back to you later with more if you want hehe.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5064

• ellj
  • Junior
  • Thank you received: 4
Marie Sama Ga Miteru is really great, I highly recommend it.
Simoun is a good one too, very interesting.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by ellj.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5065

• ellj
  • Junior
LesbianApprove.jpg

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5067

• HRB
  • Gold
Lol, what's that pic from? hehe, cute.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5079

• ellj
  • Junior
Well the original picture is from Maria Sama Ga Miteru
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by ellj.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5088

• Theresa
  • Thank you received: 1
Oh yes , iremember that anime, was very famous in my country ^^

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5089

• Theresa
I was speaking about Lady Oscar's anime.

I never saw the all serie Utena, but i do saw the movie, and i dont like it. The story was really a mess, nobody can understand and how a girl can change into a car....
But the graphism and character designer was good, i like it.

I loved Mai-otome and following, like everybody, i love the pair Natsuki and Shizuru ^^

I think i saw all yuri's anime or shojo-ai like Strawberry Panic, Kannazuki no Miko, Kashimashi Girl Meets Girl,Candy boy, Marie Sama, simoun....

At the moment i'm watching Sasameki Koto, i love the mains characters and their relationship is so cute ^^

I'm fan of manga and anime :)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5100

• HRB
  • Gold
Lol yeah, the movie Utena seemed to have been made while the creators were on drugs. The series makes a lot more sense i think... also the movie cut one of the characters I really liked. Anyway the series gives more on the characters and the supporting characters, and even if the Utena/Anthy relationship was subtextual (as opposed to the movie where it was canon) there was more depth to it. The scene where Anthy tried to kill herself and Utena stopped her is one of my favourites.

I also really liked the Juri/Shiori lesbian relationship, which was kinda dark and messed up, and Shiori verges on emotional sadism with Juri at certain points in the show but at the end of their storyline it seems like their was a ceasefire and they might be trying to work things out... anyway, somehow they're my favourite ship on the show, more so than Anthy/Utena.

I love Shizuru/Natsuki too... did you see the sequel Mai-Otome? they play a smaller role their, but their ship seems healthier at least.

I haven't heard of the last two you mentioned... i never got round to seeing Candy boy though. There was another one too, called Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, i never saw it but i heard it was femme... and Iano the Fanatic as well... i don't think i spelt that right :p

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5103

• Theresa
Yesss i saw all Mai-hime, My-Otome and Zwei, i love it ^^

i read Iano the fanatic on line, i like the drawing.

I heard about Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, i think i saw some episode but i didnt take it...

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5104

• HRB
  • Gold
I saw all those three of the Mai-verse too... though i heard there was another OVA that was a prequel that was about Arika's mother which was femmeslashy too... but i can't seem to find it in Thailand.

here's some pics

Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by HRB.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5105

• Theresa
Never heard about new OAV serie, if u find something, tell me ^^

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5108

• HRB
  • Gold
I definitely will :) I think it's called 0~S.ifr~ (and no, i have no idea how to read that)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 months ago #5109

• Theresa
oh yes, i remember now, i saw it already ^^
yes called Mai-Otome 0 S.ifr
There are 3 OAV :)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5147

• HRB
  • Gold
Oh? Where did you find that? Can you please tell me? Cause i still haven't seen it yet.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5181

• Theresa
Well i can send it to you if u want, just give me your e-mail by pm.
I dont really remember where i took it, it was too long time ago :)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5182

• pau
sailormoon sailor star edition..as far as i can remember there were no indications that there were men in the sailor star's planet..the other sailor star characters aside from seiya was linked to makoto (jupiter) and (ami)mercury.. sailor uranus and neptune are indeed lovers..hehe

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5183

• Theresa
There are no men among the sailors in this anime except for the guy with the mask but he is not a sailor :)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5187

• pau
yup you're referring to tuxedo mask - husband of sailormoon (usagi).. i think sailormoon series was really intended for LGBT people haha

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5190

• LinHuixin
  • Junior
for sailor moon, Sailor Uranus was my fav!!!

i think i havent read any yuri manga. but i love naruto, one piece, fairy tail, reborn, dragonball z, negima,boys, ouran high school host club, love hina, etc.

i did read a lot of manga lol i think maybe i should try some yuri one >_<

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5193

• Theresa
yep, that's him, didnt know his name in english or japonese....

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5194

• LinHuixin
  • Junior
tuxedo mask's name is mamoru

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 1 month ago #5197

• pau
haha i think we should make a new thread abt sailormoon..haha kiddin..
@theresea:anyway his name is mamoru chiba, his english name would be darren.. haha
hmm dunno where i could find that yuri manga here in the phil..i'll just have to rely on the net for that ..

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 weeks ago #5199

• HRB
  • Gold
pau wrote:
yup you're referring to tuxedo mask - husband of sailormoon (usagi).. i think sailormoon series was really intended for LGBT people haha

Definitely! Lol... actually in the manga version of Sailor Moon, the Sailor Stars weren't guys at all, even on Earth... they were just crossdressin as guys. I heard the manga creator was kinda pi$$ed they changed the Sailor Stars to be guys when they're not in sailor mode... though in the manga the sailor stars weren't as much lead characters as in the anime.

But i really love Seiya in anime anyway. I was so cheering Seiya/Usagi!! Mamoru became such a useless Ken doll after s1 was over, just there to be kidnapped and brainwashed so Usagi had to rescue him. Seiya is so much more awesome!!! (and the fact that Seiya in my mind is really a girl makes me biased too obviously :p)

I don't know who i love more in Sailor Moon... Sailor Uranus/Haruka or Sailor Star Fighter/Seiya. I just swoon when they come onscreen! Still do actually... so hot!! Especially in the sailor senshi uniforms.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by HRB.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 weeks ago #5200

• HRB
  • Gold
LinHuixin wrote:
for sailor moon, Sailor Uranus was my fav!!!

i think i havent read any yuri manga. but i love naruto, one piece, fairy tail, reborn, dragonball z, negima,boys, ouran high school host club, love hina, etc.

i did read a lot of manga lol i think maybe i should try some yuri one >_<

You like Ouran too? cool! I love Ouran! Haruhi is like the perfect girl for me. Smart, snarky and looks great in drag.

Sailor Uranus is awesome, but despite the fact that she's super hot, she also kinda takes herself a bit too seriously for my taste.
Last Edit: 4 years 2 weeks ago by HRB.

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 weeks ago #5201

• LinHuixin
  • Junior
ya i also love haruhi. i think lots of people will fall for her lol but naruto is still number one for me haha
gosh every time i read this topic it makes me wanna read some manga lol i think i should go to read some yuri :-)

Re:Yuri Anime and Manga 4 years 2 weeks ago #5202

• Theresa
yeah, i like this character too, she is so funny sometime :)
I like Naruto but prefer One piece and Fairy tails.
But my favorite one is family compo, i love the drawing of Tsukasa Hojo, and the way he draw girls characters is really beautiful ^^
Yesterday, i saw him in an anime's japan festival in Paris, he make some conference about his work, especially about city hunter and cat's eyes.
I tried to have a dedicace from him, but i was not lucky :(
I'm so sad :(
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds