Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for work!

Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2642

• Miss_Jen
Where should I start?? I'm a uni student without a degree in need of work. Can anyone help me out? Any websites or leads would be helpful :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2643

• agent_lou
  • Gold
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Jen - the way i understand it (correct me if i am wrong) is that Thai's keep their jobs for their own people. Therefore the only jobs westerners can really get is - teaching.

im not 100% sure if it is illegal to work in teaching without a degree. I know fake degrees are frowned upon and some people have ended up banged up because of it.

google ajarn job space - teaching jobs on there.

I dunno if you may be able to get other jobs...

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2647

• Yzma
Pretty sure you can work in Thailand without a degree and even teach but if you are in Bangkok then it' s likely employers will expect you to have one . It' s common knowledge that schools can pay off Thai government departments to get work permits for their non- degreed foreign teachers .

Maybe the OP could search for teaching assistant work? Less likely that she'll need qualifications for short term gigs such as summer school work .

Have you got any Thai friends and/or family or friends of friends you could ask?

OFC, there' s always telemarketing and time-share selling . I hear the boys who were run out of Thailand a few years back for illegal boiler room activities are back here again but are more low-key . :blink: Hell, even 7-Eleven might have some openings . ;)

The OP might be better setting up on her own , like doing an internet business (eBay anybody ? :) )

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2649

• agent_lou
  • Gold
Ebay could be a good idea, buy in bulk from thailand (cheap) to sell on western ebay (expensive) lol

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2650

^ Nah, eBay has had its day. Just check the UK based site and see how many people are selling all manner of cheap and useless crap from Thailand. "Muay Thai shorts anyone ? Got a lovely pair here, bargain at only 50 quid !" WTF ????

I've got 2 friends who used to buy up cheap T-shirts in Bangkok (most often at Chatuchak) and either take them home in an extra suitcase or ship them. They both made quite a nice profit from that for a few years and it used to pay for their holidays whilst they were studying. If they were travelling, they simply got a mate back in the UK to sell the T-shirts either at local markets or in bulk to local clothes outlets and then split the profits. They never paid more than 200-300 Baht per T-shirt and sold them on back home for upwards of 10 quid (about 550 Baht ?) The T-shirts with designs on sold best, not usually the plain ones.

Mailing stuff from Thailand to friends abroad for onward selling is usually cheap but I've been caught a few times by UK Customs demanding their import taxes. :angry: I can't imagine the USA or Australia, etc., would be any different. In difficult economic times, the revenue men want their share of your potential profits ! :S

If Miss_Jen wants to make quick money in Thailand then focus on tourists. Some people leave their brains at the airport and are easy targets. B)

Food is always a good way to make money in Thailand. How about selling simple dishes at 20-30 Baht a time ? Go help out on a local noodle cart somewhere on the corner of a soi, learn their skills, then copy. Simplesss ! :silly:

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2655

• mizcroft
  • Platinum
I agree with agent_lou about jobs here in thailand, they prioritize the local first instead of the foreigners and that is happening even in the entertainment industry not just in the offices and schools. Fair i think.

Well I guess the Captain's idea is the best to follow though. Goodluck!

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2657

^ Thailand will always be protectionist towards its own people but they can never fill the gap for a farang on their "entertainment" programmes on TV. ;) And quite a few farangs have done well from entertainment, e.g. Andrew "chang ears" Biggs.

That aside, Miss_Jen, your options for making money are unlimited if you really apply yourself. I think the self-employed choice might show you quicker financial returns and give you the flexibility you'll need if you're still studying.

How about buying a tuk-tuk and loitering in tourist areas for unsuspecting victims, err ... I mean visitors, and then driving them (by force if necessary) to dodgey gem shops and tailors ?

Or get yourself one of those little 2-wheeled carts and wander round the sois selling grilled squid and pork balls on a stick ? The hot charcoals are handy weapons when you need to fight off scabby soi dogs which will inevitably follow you. :laugh:

Or you could set up a roadside stand on an outbound road and sell booze and yaabaa to truck drivers ?

If none of that appeals to your entreprenuerial spirit, how about getting an accordion and walking around the tourist areas like Chatuchak or Silom pretending to be blind ? B)

If you'd prefer a more sedate line of work, stay home, join one of the hundreds of Thai dating sites on the internet. Befriend as many western men as you can then tell them your buffalo is sick/your mom needs urgent and expensive surgery/you need to buy a motorcyle to get to and from university. Flutter your eyelashes when chatting via webcam and the money will come pouring in. Result !

If all else fails, sell Amway products to your family and friends ! :laugh:

Ker-ching !!!

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2661

• agent_lou
  • Gold
Haha...

Re:Looking for work! 8 years 3 months ago #2664

Well, I thought it was funny ... :dry:

I guess you gotta be in Thailand to see the irony of it.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by CaptainMorgansWench.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds